Simply put, speech therapy is a treatment aimed at alleviating complications to do with language, speaking, and swallowing. The therapy enables your child to find the right muscle combinations to form the right sounds and also aids in the effective use of language. Moreover, it enables individuals to not only express themselves adequately but also breaks down the hard-to-grasp grey areas around language. Crucially, it can even help a brain injury or stroke recovery patient learn how to swallow like before. And the person who administers the therapy is known as a speech-language pathologist or simply a speech therapist. The speech therapy Los Angeles offers has never been easier to obtain. Melissa at Speak Live Play has dedicated her life to helping children in need of the exercise.
Understanding Speech Therapy
As we have already established, what exactly speech therapy is? let’s delve straight away into its benefits. It can assist to cope with complications such as:
- Speech complications: Encompasses full use of the voice, not straining and making the right sounds.
- Communication and language issues: Here concerns include how to respond in a social setting, thought expression and grasping the concepts of language.
- Feeding and swallowing complications: Encompasses issues to do with swallowing which is down to problems with utilizing throat and mouth muscles.
For some parents, finding the best speech therapy Los Angeles has to offer can seem overwhelming. At Speak Live Play, staff aims to help you better understand the process so as to help you and your child communicate better. There are a plethora of benefits to be had when making the choice to find a pathologist as seen by clicking the link above.
Does Speech Therapy Have any Downsides?
There are quite a number of points to take note of before opting for therapy e.g.:
It can be time-consuming because it takes a considerable amount of effort to make practices and appointments on a daily basis. In the case of child therapy, the patient should be aided by a guardian or parent who can ensure they practice regularly wherever they are.
Speech therapy can also be financially taxing as it might not be in line with your health insurance policy. This is subject to the illness and the particular plan so be sure to find out if you’re covered before embarking on therapy.
The Advantages of Speech Therapy
In Los Angeles, speech therapy is believed to help communication become the tool that bridges the gap between people enabling them to not only connect with one another but also express their needs. In the end, it helps us thrive at school or at the office. More specifically, speech therapy enables those who are struggling with communication problems to do all of the above.
Here are some of its other advantages:
- Enables brain injury and stroke victims to relearn the swallowing process
- Enables individuals to carry out basic day to day life activities
- For those who cannot speak, it affords an alternative means of communication
- Heals or even alleviates injury for those who overexert their vocal cords
- Builds self-confidence enabling people to excel at the office or school
How to Get Ready for Therapy
Here are a few pointers on how to prepare for your maiden appointment:
- Hand over medical documents on your speech problem to your therapist
- Highlight the problem and questions you may need to be answered
- In the case of a child, the guardian or parent should take note of the problems witnessed
- Be open to learning and be ready for the daily work that comes with speech therapy
- Importantly, go through your insurance cover particularly with regards to speech therapy policy
How it Works
Normally, the patient sits down, one-on-one, with the therapist not less than once a week. The speech therapist may enlist a number of treatment techniques which include:
- Teaching an alternative means of augmentative communication to speaking e.g. picture communication, finger-spelling or speech devices.
- Aid with memory improvement and thought an organization
- Teach new techniques of speaking and breathing to improve voice usage
- Teach helpful speech workouts like using the tongue, lips and supporting muscles in the throat and mouth
- Aid with grasping new words particularly for kids affected by stroke or brain injury.
How Long Until you see Results?
Well, this is actually dependant on a number of factors such as:
- The severity of the condition
- Level of commitment to daily practice or level of involvement on the guardian part
- Other tough existing complications like a development of disabilities or stroke recovery
The Follow-up Options and Requirements
Sometimes, the speech therapist might recommend more treatment after the maiden treatment but at other times, the therapist could suggest you enlist the thoughts of a different specialist altogether so as to get a second opinion on the matter. Nonetheless, be sure to first get professional consultations about speech therapy Los Angeles offers, to get a professional’s word of advice on you or your child’s condition.